Monday, July 12, 2010

Lord of th Flies by William Golding

So, a while back I read a book called GONE, which is part one of a trilogy that I quite enjoy. Recently, I found out that the trilogy was based on a book called Lord of the Flies by William Golding, so I decided to find that book and read it.

Lord of the Flies explores what would happen if everything was run by kids, and the consequences of an adultless world…kind of like a realistic version of the Peter Pan story.

Basically, a group of kids are stranded on an island, they form a community and vote Ralph (the average boy) as chief with Jack (alpha male) as second in command. It soon becomes a battle between instinct and logic when Jack wants everyone to hunt and Ralph tries to get everyone to build and maintain a fire as a distress signal. On top of that, there is also a monster of some sort causing issues on the island.

This book starts off with a bunch of seemingly innocent kids, and I thought the worst problem they could encounter would be someone losing their teddy bear. But then, all of a sudden the story takes a dark turn that would catch a lot of people by surprise (they start hunting animals, then each other).

This is a short read, but it is still a classic. I fairly enjoyed reading this book. I would recommend this to readers 13 and above; I give it a 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment