Monday, July 12, 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I am quite a fan of the author Markus Zusak so this week I’m reviewing “the book thief”. I believe it's one of his best books.

This novel is narrated by “death”, I found that quite interesting. Death is represented as a conscious being, with emotions and morals. In this novel death is not evil but wise and fair. It is very strange to have a narrator that is all knowing and constantly jumps through time, a narrator who knows the ending before the story begins, but I found it quite enjoyable.

Despite the narrator being death the protagonist of this story is a 9 year old girl named Liesel. She is a poor girl growing up with her foster parents in Nazi Germany, this is a story of her growing up and discovery the different aspects of life and books-something she can not resist.

This novel reminded me of “to kill a mockingbird” with the way society is explored though the perspective of maturing children. This story is moving and beautifully written.

One of my favorite things about this novel was how death believed that humans are evil but at the same time capable of great beauty. I would recommend this to anyone 14+ and enjoys reading; I give this novel a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment